Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Magic of Tel Aviv

Everyone always asks me what it's like to live in Israel. Bearing in mind that my experience is both secular and very Tel Aviv-centric and obviously quite different from others at the other end of the spectrum or the country, this article from the NY Times travel section sums it up better than I ever could. We don't live right in the city but we're close enough that my husband rides his bike to work in Tel Aviv each morning, and we can get right downtown within 20 minutes (45 at rush hour).

Summer in Tel Aviv. There's nothing quite like it anywhere in the world.

.

7 comments:

Genny said...

Fascinating article. And I love the picture of the bride and groom and surfer!

Anonymous said...

Love the article babe. So fascinating reading how others live.

Leora said...

Glad to read that the Russian immigrants are helping to boost the economy. Thanks for the article. I found a painting of Neve Tzedek last week in Wikimedia; I've never been to that neighborhood, sounds quaint. And Etgar Keret's two siblings point to the variety of relatives in the Israeli world.

Phyllis Sommer said...

it was a great article. i usually skip the travel section but i was quick to read it today because of the front page...i thought it was well-written and i loved the slice of israeli life that it offered.

anymommy said...

I'm so glad you posted about living in Israel. I've been hoping to hear a little about your experiences and haven't had time yet to look at your archives.

Robin said...

Leora - next time you really should find a few hours to explore Neve Zedek. As an artist you'd love all the little shops and galleries. It's sort of like a small urban Nyack (but less nautical), if that helps.

Anymommy - I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you click on the "Only in Israel" label on my post you'll get all sorts of things about life in Israel from my archives - from the sublime right down to the ridiculous.

Claremont First Ward said...

I had no idea Tel Aviv was so.......complex? Diverse? I read most of the article and plan on coming back to finish. Thanks for sharing.......so interesting.